Practical Ministry Field Education
This is the subject page for the on-campus subject.
Two semesters, 4 credit points.
16 credit points of core foundation level units
Semester 1 and 2
This unit gives students the opportunity to spend a full-year engaging with a chosen ministry at a deep level. Much more than a placement, field education aims to develop reflective learning, self-awareness and a critical approach to ministry. Students not only learn from doing, but learn how to be a life-long learner.
There are two parts to this field work unit: theoretical and practical. For the successful completion of this course, students are required to complete both components:
Throughout the year you will learn about 5 areas of practical ministry skills. Learning materials and tasks are provided online (videos, resources, readings and quizzes):
- Leading a small group
- Reading the Bible aloud
- Leading Prayers
- Leading Church Services
- Presentation Skills
The practical ministry component will be undertaken in a ministry setting chosen by you and negotiated with the Field Education Coordinator. You will be expected to engage in:
- 200 hours practical ministry experience (supervised), consisting of:
- 120 hours actual ministry (e.g. 5 hours per week over 24 weeks)
- 60 hours preparation and writing verbatims (records of ministry experiences)\
- 20 hours reflection (individually, and with supervisor)
- Regular supervision meetings with your supervisor (at least 4 per semester).
- Collect at least 2 ministry feedback evaluations of your practical ministry work from others apart from your supervisor.
1. Completion of online learning tasks and quizzes (10%)
2. A ministry “portfolio” consisting of several items:
- Learning Agreement (required but not graded)
- 2 x 750 word written reviews (case study, verbatim or book review) 20%
- Mid-year self-evaluation report (20%)
- End-year self-evaluation report (50%)
- Reflective journal (required but not graded)
- 2 x Ministry feedback evaluations from people other than your supervisor (required but not graded)
- Evaluation reports from your supervisor (required but not graded)