About Ridley

Overseas Students

Ridley attracts and welcomes students from all over the world. However, prospective international students, especially those from developing countries, should be aware that the cost of living in Melbourne is high and that no scholarships or government assistance is available for them. Those who have trained in Melbourne from a developing country often find it difficult to return home, which can be counter-productive. Language issues are an added burden, especially in exams and assignments.

For this reason Ridley works in partnership with the Overseas Council of Australia and Langham Partnerships, sending our faculty for short term teaching at theological colleges in developing countries. We believe that this is the most viable and appropriate way to train people for ministry in these countries.

However, Ridley will consider applications from international students. Along with general admission procedures, there are certain requirements that must be met before overseas students are accepted for study – you must show evidence of means of financial support, you must provide two recommendations from your home country and you must demonstrate a proficiency in written and spoken English. It may also be determined that Online Study with Ridley from the student’s home country is the best option. The Bachelor of Ministry, Bachelor of Theology, Graduate Diploma of Divinity and Master of Divinity can now be completed via online study.


Government regulations require that evidence of means of financial support must be provided before any overseas student is granted a visa to enter Australia: this includes the capacity to cover all travel expenses, tuition fees, living expenses, and all living expenses related to any dependents who accompany the student.  It is also required that the student and all accompanying dependents hold Overseas Student Health Cover for the duration of their stay. Ridley College also believes that overseas students should have some support from their home church. Where possible, the college seeks an assurance that a suitable post is available in the student’s home country after the completion of study.

Recommendation from the home country

Ridley College asks for references from two people who know the student well. One of these should be in a position to have observed and comment upon the student’s involvement in the life and ministry of the church.

English language proficiency

Proficiency in both spoken and written English is essential for undertaking theological studies, particularly at an advanced level. English language proficiency can be demonstrated in two ways.

1. By the completion of High School (VCE, HSC etc.) in English in one of the following countries:

  • American Samoa
  • Australia
  • Botswana
  • Canada
  • Fiji
  • Ghana
  • Guyana
  • Ireland
  • Jamaica
  • Kenya
  • Lesotho
  • Liberia
  • New Zealand
  • Nigeria
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Singapore
  • Solomon Islands
  • South Africa
  • Tonga
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • United Kingdom (including Northern Ireland)
  • United States of America
  • Zambia
  • Zimbabwe

2. IELTS test (International English Language Testing System) – Academic version.

Overseas students may arrange to sit for the IELTS test in a major city of their own country. The test is administered by officers of the International Development Program of Australian Universities and Colleges (IDP) or the British Council. Please note that overseas students must sit the academic version of the test.

The results required are as folows:

  • Diploma: IELTS 6.0 overall with a minimum of 6.0 in each subtest.
  • Bachelor degree: IELTS 6.5 overall with a minimum of 6.5 in each subtest.
  • Graduate Diploma or Master of Divinity: IELTS 7.0 overall with a minimum of 7.0 in reading and writing, and 6.5 in listening & speaking.
  • Master of Arts: IELTS 7.0 overall with a minimum of 7.0 in reading and writing, and 6.5 in listening and speaking.

The results of the test should be sent to Ridley College, or brought to an interview by students already in Australia.

Studying by distance

Under section 9.4 of the National Code of Practice for Registration Authorities and Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2007, overseas students residing in Australia under a student visa must not undertake more than 25% of their total course by distance and/or online learning.


click for current fees

Interviews and Acceptance

International applicants already in Australia should contact the Vice Principal (contact details below) to discuss eligibility and course plans. and to arrange an interview with a member of the academic staff. Applicants must have their IELTS test results before arranging an interview. Applicants will be notified of acceptance for study at Ridley College after satisfactory completion of admission procedures. A Confirmation of Enrolment form will then be issued by the Registrar.

Vice Principal
Rev Dr Tim Foster p: 61 3 9207 4800

Academic Dean
Rev Dr Linday Wilson p: 61 3 9207 4800

Mrs Katrine Bramley  p: 61 3 9207 4800 option #3

Student Admissions
Mrs Katherine Urwin  p: 61 3 9207 4800 option #2

Where to go for more information:

Futher information about studying in Australia can be found at the Australian College of Theology’s website section for International Students or at the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website at www.immi.gov.au

Australian College of Theology cricos codes for International Students

Ridley College

170 The Avenue, Parkville, Victoria, 3052 Australia / Phone 03 9207 4800 / Email info@ridley.edu.au

Ridley College is an affiliated institution with the Australian College of Theology. (ACT Cricos Provider: 02650E)